There’s an epidemic going around among artists. It has been a problem for centuries but is worse than ever today due to the fact that it feeds on itself and grows exponentially over time.
Welcome to my art blog. I have some things to say about the subjects of making, buying and selling art. For my first post, I thought I would start with some basic feelings about art collecting that hold true for me. These ideas have grown from years of knowing that most people understand why humans need to create art, but have no understanding of why buying and collecting art is equally important to the evolution of humanity.
- I believe original art always retains the energy and passion the artist put into creating it.
- I believe everyone should buy products that were handmade with care.
- I believe quality and originality matters.
- I believe acquiring original art teaches my children that there is great value in things that are unique, quirky, imperfect and unexpected.
|We found this guy in a gallery in Quebec City|
My sister bought me this ceramic box at an art fair
- I believe supporting local artists will inspire my children to follow their dreams and to find value and inspiration in the creation of something magical that comes from hard work, knowledge and passion.
- I believe my money is better served in the hands of a working artist or craftsperson, than padding the pockets of a huge corporation.
- I believe mass produced items hurt our environment and dull our senses to what is truly unique and beautiful.
- I believe original art can make us think, feel and appreciate in a way that mass produced art never will.
- I believe buying original art promotes mindfulness and personal connection between human beings.
- I believe buying original art promotes the kind of excellence, craftsmanship, creativity and quality our society is sorely lacking.
- I believe something made by hand is always worth more and will usually last longer than something that is not.
- I believe that supporting artists and other small businesses is good for the economy, and supporting Homesense and Amazon is not.
- I believe there is great joy in discovering an artist or piece of art you connect with.
- I believe in supporting the people who do not pander to mass sensibilities and are not willing to compromise on what they find real, meaningful or beautiful.
- I believe in encouraging and celebrating the cultural, personal and creative diversity that is humanity.
- I believe in the value of maintaining a visceral connection to the earth by remaining connected to where things come from.
- I believe my life is richer since I began collecting original works of art.
- I believe it doesn’t have to cost much to begin a meaningful art collection.
- I believe that art can be far more accessible and affordable than many people think.
- I believe the benefits of owning meaningful art outweigh the costs.